Author Events/In the News
Florida Association for Media in Education — FAME Conference
Middle-Grade: Where Heroes Are Made: Author Panel
Author Speed Dating
November 15 – 17, 2023
July 2, 2023
Miami Beach Convention Center
May 19-21, 2023
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Latinx Kidlit Book Festival
Nuestro Mundo: Kids Navigating the Contemporary World
Watch replay here.
November 20, 2022
I’m planning my school visits for the 2023-2024 school year and would love to connect with your students!
My debut novel, Treasure Tracks, is ideally suited for students in 4th through 7th grades. It was selected as one of Florida’s Sunshine State Young Readers Award Grades 6-8 Shortlist Selections for ’23-’24.
As a mom of three boys and an enthusiastic real-life adventurer, I’m a kid at heart, bubbly by nature, and love inspiring students. I am a Latina writer and can present in English, Español, or Spanglish.
My presentation includes a visually rich PowerPoint highlighting my writing process and the publishing journey with a focus on inspiration and motivational elements geared toward achieving success. I also like to discuss ways in which I integrate history, cultural references, and research into my works. Topics or add-ons may also be customized to suit educational needs.
Novel-specific references invite a deeper dive into Florida’s history and basic marine biology studies with many possible cross-curriculum tie-ins. I will present a brief overview of Florida Keys’ geography and the extension of Henry Flagler’s Overseas Railroad (the inspiration behind the story) and will reference real-life treasure hunting and hurricane history that is integrated into the story. We can even talk about shark encounters!
To schedule, please contact me to discuss fees and availability.
- Book Talk (Virtual): FREE (up to 20 minutes, including Q&A) for teachers using Treasure Tracks as part of their classroom curriculum or Florida media specialists and librarians supporting the SSYRA program to motivate reading.
- Virtual Visit: $100, up to 45 minutes for a single presentation, including Q&A. (If desired, bookmarks can be mailed to students in advance.)
- Single Presentation: $250, up to 60 minutes. (For in-person visits, includes a small door prize, book signing session if desired, and bookmarks for all attendees.)
- Half-day Presentations: $450 (Includes 2 presentations up to 60 minutes each, door prizes, book signing sessions if desired, and bookmarks for all attendees.)
- Full day of Visits: $600 (Includes 3 presentations up to 60 minutes each, door prizes, book signing sessions if desired, and bookmarks for all attendees. Additionally, a “lunch with the author” session may be scheduled to reward students if desired.)
*Costs are negotiable based on need and may be waived with a purchase of a classroom set of books (25+ copies prior to/per presentation).
**In-person visits are limited to South Florida, including the mid to Upper Keys. For travel outside of South Florida, expenses (i.e., transportation and lodging) will be added to fees.
Don’t forget to check out the Discussion & Activity Guide for Treasure Tracks here.
“We had the pleasure of welcoming Sallie Anne Rodriguez to our little school by the bay. She brought the captivating world of Florida History and Florida Keys Adventure to life for elementary-age children. It was an extraordinary experience that left a lasting impact on both the young minds and the adults present. I highly recommend inviting S.A. Rodriguez to schools across the country. Her ability to ignite the imaginations of young readers and instill a love for reading is truly remarkable.”
“We were thrilled to welcome S.A. Rodriguez to speak at The Cushman School! She put so much thought and effort into creating a beautiful presentation for our students. Ms. Rodriguez provided our students with insight into the writing process and inspired them to embark on their own journey of creative discovery!”
“My two homerooms and I would like to thank you for a great presentation. The students were very excited to meet you and I think you exceeded their expectations. You were very patient answering all their questions. We don’t usually get many Spanish-speaking authors to join us. I think having someone speak in their native tongue made all the difference. It meant the world to us. They can’t stop talking about your book.”